Saturday, March 12, 2011

Colin's 1st Birthday

March 12th 2011 at M Grill in Koreatown, Los Angeles little Colin and his parents, Karen and Billy, celebrated his Dol (or Tol, apparently people spell it many ways and I'm not too sure of the correct spelling)



A little bit of info on one piece of preparation for the event:

Birthday Table
The parents prepare a special Tol table to celebrate the child's birthday. The main food includes ddeok (rice cakes) and fruits. Over 12 different kinds of ddeok are prepared, including paekseolgi (white steamed rice cakes), susu-kyongdan (rice cakes coated with rough red bean powder), chapsal-ddeok or chal-ddeok, mujigae-ddeok (rainbow colored steamed rice cake), songp'yeon (half moon shaped rice cakes), injulmi (coated glutinous rice cakes), and gyep'i-ddeok (puffed air rice cakes). Among these, paekseolgi and susu-kyongdan are always included. Fruits can vary according to the season of the birthday. Different colors of seasonal fruits can be prepared and displayed in a row. Also, a bowl of rice, sea mustard soup, and many other various foods can be displayed. (source http://www.lifeinkorea.com/)



All the little kiddos there got a little gift bag which I thought was a perfect idea because theres so many sweets all around, I'd be in heaven if I wasn't working (haha I know, sweet tooth!)



Colin didn't like his ceremonial hat but I don't think any child likes a hat much at that age!



At the end I had a little stalker child but he was obnoxiously cute, I chased him around so he could burn off that sugar high. Strange Fact #1: Young children have always been attracted to me, since I was a teenager, kids would follow me at beaches and I'd moan and gripe about it to my mother ;) 


Thank you Karen and Billy for another awesome Dol/Tol Experience!